Good morning every one. we have an Avondale Mayfly (1998). On Wednesday evening I went in the washroom and put the light on. It kept going dim and then I noticed smoke combing from one of the ceiling lights in the lounge. I imidiately turned it off. I dismantled the light and found that the plastic holding the light had melted. I took everything off and isolated the light. What caused this. It could have been very dangerous. i cannot get a new light but I can get one from a caravan breaker, would this be safe? nedlog
Difficult to say at long range but it sounds like a poor connection on the back of the lamp fitting has caused sparking which in turn will cause the light fitting to heat up and melt the plastic holder. It could also be caused by a leak in the roof area letting water get to the light fitting or it could simply be that the bulb has shaken loose in the holder causing sparking thus heating the fitting.....etc.
Take the fitting off the ceiling and pull some of the wiring through to check whether the insulation has melted. If the insulation is sound, you should be alright. If the insulation is damaged you may be able to cut the wire back to sound insulation and remake the connection. If the insulation on the wiring is melted back inside the roof, there is a big problem.
The replacement light fitting does not have to be the same as before but it would be advisable as the fixings will be the same. You could, as you suggest, have a punt in a caravan breaker's yard or have a look round a caravan accessory shop and see what they have that can be used or modified to fit. If you can get an identical one from a breaker's yard, have a good look at it and check for cracks and burn marks before purchase. If it looks clean and undamaged, you will probably be alright but only you can make that judgement.